Public policy is one way that society addresses social problems through the use of laws and regulations adopted by governments. In this discussion, review the American Sociological Association article Sociology and Public Policy and address the following:
That is the article that is used.
- Consider and explain the following statement, “Public policy is both what government does and what it does not do” (Theodoulou & Kofinis, 2012).
- What determines whether a policy is enacted or not?
- Who holds the power and authority to create, enact and/or change public policy?
- What is the difference between public versus private concerns in relation to policy making and the government’s role in this process?
- Describe two ways that social science research helps to design good public policies. Why are social science research skills important for analyzing the impact of existing policies?
Your initial post should be at least 300 words in length. Support your points with scholarly references, appropriate citations, and full references at the conclusion of your post. Cite your sources in APA format. Review several of your classmates’ posts, and then, provide a substantive response to at least two of your classmates by Day 7. What, if any, additional information would you add to their comments regarding public policy
For your journal entry, you will explore aspects of your personal experience and/or beliefs regarding significant public policies and what you have learned in your readings. As you reflect, please address the following questions:
- What are the current major environmental issues?
- What policies are currently in place to address these issues?
- What policy would you like to see enacted to address a major environmental issue?
- What, if anything, has changed or is changing, and how does it affect you personally?
- What were your thoughts prior to reading this week’s reading assignment?
- How has your perspective been either reinforced or changed now that you are more informed?