Expository Essay Outline
So far, you have chosen a topic and located resources for your Expository Essay. Continue developing your essay by developing a thesis statement and creating an outline.
- Review the media piece “The Writing Process” to help you develop your thesis statement and create your essay outline.
- Use the attached template “Expository Essay Outline” to create your outline.
- Incorporate any feedback you received on your thesis statement in the discussion this week.
- Use the Reading Strategies and Annotated Reference List assignment from Topic 2 to complete the references, in-text citation, and resource information in the Outline worksheet.
- Avoid using quotes in your outline. Instead, paraphrase your information.
- Refer to the “Example Essay Outline” in Course Materials this week for help.
Title: Grand Canyon University
- Introduction: Begin with a hook sentence to capture your audience’s attention and end with your thesis statement.(The thesis sentence is in bold here to show placement, please do not do this in the actual assignment).
Grand Canyon University’s mission is to educate learners to become intellectual mediators, competent communicators, responsible servant leaders, and ethical and morally respectful global citizens by providing an academically challenging curriculum from the context of their Christian heritage. Since 1949 Grand Canyon University has been preparing students to become social change agents in the state and throughout the nation by providing a seamless and enriching college experience for prospective and active students, cultivating a learning environment where students, faculty, and staff can engage in intellectual thought in a safe community, and most importantly, delivering academic excellence through a Christian perspective. Grand Canyon University is the premier Christian University in the Southwest because they have award-winning faculty, state-of-the-art learning environments, and they support a Christian Worldview.
- Supporting Point #1 (subtopic 1): Award winning faculty
GCU/APA Style reference to support subtopic 1 (this will be included on the reference page of your essay):
Huun, K., & Hughes, L. (2014). Autonomy among thieves: Template course design for student and faculty success. Journal of Educators Online, 11(2), 1-30.
- Topic Sentence for this first sub-topic. (Please use complete sentences throughout outline): One of the most important attributes that makes Grand Canyon University a premier Christian University is its award-winning faculty team who shows passion through their teachings and student interactions.
- Supporting detail from article: Students prefer instructors who create an engaging, supportive and welcoming learning environment, set explicit expectations of course requirements, provide availability through multiple communication mediums, and support frequent, meaningful communication with students by enhancing technology to invigorate and inspire learning (Hunn&Hughs, 2014).
- Supporting detail from article: Grand Canyon faculty shows each student that they are important by supporting each student on an individual basis and providing mentorship in advancing their education and career.
- Supporting Point #2 (subtopic 2): State-of-the-art learning environment
GCU/APA Style reference to support subtopic 2 (this will be included on the reference page of your essay):
Tinto, V. (2006).Research and practice of student retention: What next? J. College Student Retention, 8(1), 1-19. Retrieved from http://edit.uaa.alaska.edu/governance/facultysenate/upload/JCSR_Tinto_2006-07_Retention.pdf.
- Topic Sentence for this second sub-topic. (Please use complete sentences throughout outline): Another important factor that contributes to students’ success is the learning environment.
- Supporting detail from article: Social capital/integration factors embody internal and external student interactions that are essential to student success(Tinto, 2006).
- Supporting detail from article: Grand Canyon University afford students state-of-the-art campus and online learning environments by providing students support for tutoring and learning centers, academic advising, career services, community outreach programs, physical facilities, and campus life extra-curricular activities.
- Supporting Point #3 (subtopic 3): Support a Christian Worldview.
GCU/APA Style reference to support subtopic 3 (this will be included on the reference page of your essay):
Wolf, S. M. (2011). The shaping of a professional worldview in the classroom: A Christian psychology project. Journal of Psychology and Christianity, 30(4), p. 329-338.
- Topic Sentence for this third sub-topic. (Please use complete sentences throughout outline): In addition to supportive faculty and state-of-the-art learning environments, the University approaches education from a Christian perspective.
- Supporting detail from article: Blending Christian faith with scientific knowledge is essential in shaping one’s professional worldview and promoting Christian beliefs and values(Wolf, 2011).
- Supporting detail from article: Integrating faith with student learning will help foster the academic and professional growth, maturity, and education for all student learners.
- Conclusion:(Paraphrase your thesis statement, summarize key points, and make final remarks.)
From challenging classes to personalized academic help, Grand Canyon shows it cares about its students through its dedicated faculty and staff, state-of-the-art learning environments, and Christian faith.