Topic 3 Quiz: Study Guide
Quiz 1: Critiquing a Thesis Statement
Review Chapter 3 readings and resources.
- What are the components of a strong thesis statement?
- What is an example of an effective thesis statement? Why is it effective?
- What is an example of an ineffective thesis statement? Why is it ineffective?
Quiz 2: In-text Citations
Review the GCU Style Guide, pg. 41 of the ebook, and “In-Text Citations: The Basics” from the Purdue OWL
Create your own example in-text citations for the circumstances listed below, being sure to include all the needed components.
- A quote from a journal article with two authors:
- A paraphrase from a journal article with two authors:
- A paraphrase from an encyclopedia entry:
- A quote from a journal article with over 6 authors:
- A paraphrase from a website:
- The second time quoting a journal article with three authors:
- The second time paraphrasing a journal article with 4 authors:
- A quote from a website with no date available:
Topic 3: DQ 1
This week you will be creating an organized blueprint of your plans for the essay by creating a thesis statement.
The thesis statement for this type of essay is called a mapped thesis statement and should be one sentence in length. All three supporting paragraph sub-topics should be present within it and listed at the end of the statement.
Please post your proposed thesis statement as your response to this DQ (no need to meet the word count for this response). We will be working together as a class to approve and/or revise the thesis statements.
For this DQ response:
- List the main topic/question you selected in Topic 1 for the brainstorming worksheet:
- List three sub topics:
- List your proposed thesis statement exactly as you would like it to appear in your paper. Remember, your thesis statement will be located at the end of your introductory paragraph. Make sure your thesis statement lists three sub topics clearly and is written in third person:
- Topic: Freshman year academic success
- Sub topics: Goal setting, Time Management, Motivation
- Thesis: Freshman year academic success has been proven to be achieved through goal setting, time management, and motivation.
Topic 3: DQ 2
Refer to the Topic Materials for this week, and review “About Turnitin and Turnitin FAQs” prior to responding to this discussion question.
After reviewing the TII information, address the following questions: 1) what is the purpose of the TII Report; 2) why is it important to review the TII report before hitting the final submission option; and 3) what are some possible consequences of not checking your TII report?