What are the differences between traditional and new music among the Navajos?
- Why is it misleading to consider the vocables in a Yeibichai song meaningless?
- How is the song “Shizhané’é” meant to be humorous? Why is the understatement of the lyrics more effective than a fuller text would be?
- What are the differences between traditional and new music among the Navajos? What purposes does the new music serve?
- Compare the Fenders’ recording of “Folsom Prison Blues” with that of Johnny Cash. What are the similarities and differences? How have the Fenders made the song their own?Johnny Cash – Folsom Prison Blues (Links to an external site.)
- How does the music of the Native American Church differ from traditional Navajo music? What might account for that difference?