Abbreviated Knowledge Audit Report
In this brief Knowledge Audit report, the student will select a familiar organization, or a focused unit of an organization, to conduct an abbreviated Knowledge Management Audit. The student should select an organization with Knowledge Management intensive teams or Knowledge Management intensive process.
Course materials and readings must be applied to be successful in this assignment.
The assignment is drawn from Liebowitz (2000) The Knowledge Audit. This article is required reading for this assignment. Other materials include Dalkir (2011) Chapter 2; the wisdom hierarchy (Data, Information, Knowledge, and Wisdom) framework by Rowley (2006). You should know this material.
Required Elements to include in the Abbreviated Knowledge Audit Report:
• Provide an introduction of why a Knowledge Management Audit is important;
• Apply the classroom concepts to the organization’s knowledge resources including a discussion of the types and characteristics of knowledge required for the organizational unit;
• Examine what encourages or impedes the flow of knowledge;
• Discuss the gaps in knowledge in the organization based on the Liebowitz article;
• The Knowledge Management audit should help to describe an organization’s knowledge by using the Knowledge Cycle (Wigg, 1993) and the DIKW (Data Information Knowledge Wisdom) framework by Rowley (2006). You must include these important sources whenever applicable;
• Use the Knowledge Management SWOT format: Strengths include the knowledge and characteristics of this knowledge. Weaknesses include individual, team, and organizational factors which inhibit knowledge. Opportunities include the potential for the organization to operate at a higher level of effectiveness if other sources of knowledge were available. Describe what type and where the organization could acquire this knowledge. Threats are those factors which may place the organizational knowledge at risk. Explain why this knowledge is threatened. For example is the organization’s knowledge threatened because the organization gives away knowledge free? Is it because other organizations replicate the knowledge easily? Is it because the human resources are retiring/leaving?
Required Formatting of Paper:
• This report should be double spaced, 12-point font, and two to three pages in length excluding the title page and reference page;
• Title page with your name, the course name, the date, and instructor’s name;
• Include reference page;
• Write in the third person;
• Use APA formatting for in-text citations and reference page; Do not use direct quotes but paraphrase;
• Submit the paper in the Assignment Folder.