For this assignment, take on the role of an elementary level teacher at a K-5 school. Your principal has noticed how well you communicate learning objectives, guide students to set individual goals, and guide students to self-regulate and track their progress across multiple content areas. Because of your successes using these best practices, your principal has asked you to present best practices to fellow teachers across all content areas in an upcoming professional development.
Part 1: Best Practices Presentation
Create a 10-12 slide digital presentation to present to your teacher colleagues describing evidence-based instructional practices related to the self-regulation cycle, including goal setting, communicating learning objectives, monitoring student progress, providing effective feedback, and promoting self-regulation across multiple content areas.
The presentation should include the following components:
- How to communicate the unit or lesson learning objectives to students, and how they will be measured on their performance of those objectives
- How to encourage students’ motivation and engagement through the use of technology and other strategies, creating opportunities for students’ active participation in learning, self-motivation, and positive social interaction
- How to continuously monitor student progress to provide effective, descriptive feedback across multiple content areas
- How to work with students to collaboratively establish learning goals, identify quality work, and analyze their assessment results across multiple content areas.
- Title slide, reference slide, and presenter’s notes.
While APA format is not required for the body of this assignment, solid academic writing is expected, and in-text citations and references should be presented using APA documentation guidelines, which can be found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
This assignment uses a rubric. Review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
Part 2: Reflection
In 250-500 words, summarize and examine the process of implementing best practices in encouraging self-regulation, setting goals, communicating objectives, monitoring progress, and providing effective feedback.
Consider the following questions:
- How can you use students’ performance data to guide and engage students in thinking and learning?
- How does the assessment data inform future instructional planning based on identified learning gaps and patterns?
- How does planning for students to engage in the self-regulation cycle influence students’ confidence in learning independently and taking ownership of their academic progress?
Support your findings with 2-3 scholarly resources.